Poetry Competitions Listings and Poetry Contests
Poetry Competition Listings, Poetry Contest List
- World Poetry Movement - Open Amateur Poetry Writing Contest. Poems can be written on any subject, in any style. If your poem wins you could be considered for publication.
- Teen Ink Poetry Contests - Winning poems are published in Teen Ink magazine. Competition winners receive a copy of the particular magazine featuring their work. Submission should only be original poetry written by teens. Entries of all kinds are accepted.
- The Poetry Society - One of the largest poetry contests out there today. This is a United Kingdom website.
- Winning Writers - Wergle Flomp Humor Poetry Contest - Free to enter. They are looking for the best humor poetry for this contest.
- Colorado Prize for Poetry - This international contest started in 1995. Over 5,000 book length poetry manuscripts have been submitted over that timeframe.
- Frost Foundation - Poem submission in the spirit of Robert Frost. They do have a submission fee per poem payable to the Robert Frost Foundation. No more than 3 pages per submission at the time of writing.
- Ruth Stone Poetry Prize - Entry fee required. A chance for your poems to be read by Hunger Mountain editors.
- Tampa Review Prize for Poetry - Send previously unpublished poetry manuscripts. There is a handling fee for each submission. Contest held by the University of Tampa Review.
- Nancy Thorp Poetry Contest - This contest is sponsored by Hollins University. Awards for the best poems submitted by girls who are sophomores or juniors in high school or preparatory school.
- River of Words International art and poetry contest - This poetry contest is in affiliation with the Library of Congress Center for the Book. River of Words sponsors a free international poetry and art contest on the theme of watersheds. Open to students ages 5 to 19 anywhere in the world. Deaf students may submit poems in American Sign Language on DVDs. Largest international youth poetry competition.
- Christian Poetry Contest - Poetry competition for Christian Poets. Entry fee required.
- The Poetry Kit - List of Poetry Competitions
- The Bridgeport Prize - Entries judged anonymously. Unpublished works only. Open to those writing in English 16 yrs. and over.
- Cutthroat Poetry Award - You may submit up to three unpublished poems. There is a fee for submission.
- Griffin Poetry Prize - Prizes for a first edition single collection of poetry written in, or translated into English, from any country in the world. Their goal is to raise awareness of the crucial role poetry plays in our cultural life.
- Juniper Prize for Poetry - Annual award for a selected manuscript of poems to be published by the Press. The award is named in honor of Robert Francis.
Please use your best judgment before applying to any poetry contents. Be wary of those competitions that ask you to pay for submission. There are many scams out there, so do your research. If you make a submission of poetry and you get an immediate email or an email that asks you to pay for further publication do some research. For the most part you should not have to pay to submit to these competitions. Check out the Better Business Bureau for complaints at www.bbb.org.