Band Manager Duties | Band Management
Page updated 3/30/2015
- Band Manager Duties, Artist Management,
- What is the role of a Band Manager
- Is the role different for startup bands than more
- Compensation percentages for band managers
Band Managers, Music Managers, Or Talent Managers
Band Management Roles Including: Band Booking, Act
Promoting, And Tour Management. The role of the Band
Manager can vary depending on the band he or she is
managing. For example, if a band is just starting out,
the band manager may take on the role of a number of jobs
including booker, promoter, and more. It just depends
on the band. Artist Managers have a variety of music
and management duties that entail to following roles.
Role of Band Managers for New Bands:
- A Family member or friend may take interest and
manage a band
- Books gigs for the band, show booking
- Assembles band press kit to send to clubs to acquire
shows and gigs
- Band Promotion including flyers, CD promotion,
contacting newspapers, and gig promotion
- May help with Demo recording or CD launches
Role of Band Managers of More Established Bands:
More band managers may need to be involved including:
- Band Managers - Getting the band
business together including demo solicitation, press kit
submission, and many other duties could be involved
depending on the band.
- Booking Agents - Gets your band the
show date or gig. Agents typically take a percentage
of gross earnings.
- Tour Promoters - Similar to a show
booking agent where they get shows for a band, but tour promoters may
also price shows and are responsible for band
transportation and or backstage food etc.
Band Manager Compensation
Band Managers, Booking Agents, and Tour Promoters
compensation will depend on the band or organization that
they manage. Typically they make between 10% to 20% of the
service that they provide. For example, if a booking
agent books your band at a club, he or she should get
between 10% to 20% of the amount your band made at the gig.
Of course, any fee should be negotiated ahead of time
between the band and manager.
Band Management Jobs
Band Management Links